Categorization of the industries under Red, Orange and Green
A. Only those industries that are non-obnoxious and non-hazardous will be permitted
(Obnoxious and hazardous industries include those using inflammable, explosive,
corrosive or toxic substances).
B. Only those industries that do not discharge industrial effluents of a polluting nature
will be permitted.
C. Only those industries that do not use coal in their manufacturing process will be
D. Only those industries that do not emit fugitive emissions of a diffused nature will be
E. Employing up to 100 persons/day
F. All such industries which do not use fuel in their manufacturing process or in any
subsidiary process and which do not emit fugitive emissions of a diffused nature.
2. Rice Mullors
4. Dal mills
5. Groundnut decortinating (dry)
7. Tailoring and garment making
8. Apparel making
9. Cotton and woollen Hosiery
10. Hand loom weaving
11. Shoe lace manufacturing
12. Gold and silver thread and sari work
13. Gold and silver smithy
14. Leather foot wear and leather products excluding tanning & hide processing
15. Manufacture of mirror from sheet glass and photo-frame
16. Musical instruments, manufacturing
17. Sports goods
18. Bamboo and cane products (only dry operations)
19. Card Board and paper products (Paper & pulp manufacture excluding)
20. Insulation and other coated papers (Paper & pulp manufacture
21. Scientific and Mathematical instruments
22. Furniture (Wooden and Steel)
23. Assembly of Domestic electrical appliances
24. Radio assembling
25. Fountain pens
26. Polythene, plastic and P.V.C. goods through
27. Surgical gauges and bandages
28. Railway sleepers (only concrete)
29. Cotton spinning and weaving
30. Rope (cotton and plastic)
31. Carpet weaving
32. Assembly of Air coolers
33. Wires, pipes-extruded shapes from metals
34. Automobile servicing & repair stations
35. Assembly of Bicycles, baby carriages and other small nonmotorized
36. Electronics equipment (assembly)
39. Carpentary-excluding saw mill
40. Cold storages (small scale)
42. Oil-ginning/expelling (non-hydrogenation and no refining)
43. Ice cream
44. Mineralized water
45. Jobbing & Machining
46. Manufacture of Steel trunks & suit cases
47. Paper pins & U-clips
48. Block making for printing
49. Optical frames
All such industries which do not discharge industrial effluents
of a polluting nature and which do not undertake any of the
Cooking of fibres and Digesting
Desizing of Fabric
Unhairing, Soaking, deliming and bating of hides
Washing of fabric
Trimming, Pulling, juicing and blanching of fruits and
Washing of equipment and regular floor washing, using of
considerable cooling water
Seperated milk, buttermilk and whey
Stopping and processing of grain
Distillation of alcohol, stillage and evaporation
Slaughtering of animals, rendering of bones, washing of meat
Juicing of sugar cane, extraction of sugar Filtration,
Pulping and fermenting of coffee beans
Processing of fish
Filter back wash in D.M. Plants exceeding 20 K.l. per day
Pulp making, pulp processing and papermaking
Coking of coal washing of blast furnace flue gases,
Stripping of oxides;
Washing of used sand by hydraulic discharge;
Washing of latex etc.
A. All such industries which discharge some liquid effluents (below 500 kl/day) that can be
controlled with suitable proven technology.
B. All such industries in which the daily consumption of coal/fuel is less than 24mt/day and
the particulars emissions from which can be controlled with suitable proven technology.
C.All such industries employing not more than 500 persons.
1. Lime manufacture-pending decision on proven pollution
control device and Supreme Court's decision on quarrying.
4. Tyres and tubes.
5. Refuse incineration (controlled)
6. Flour mills;
7. Vegetable oils including solvent extracted oils;
8. Soap without steam boiling process and synthetic detergents
9. Steam generating plants.
10. Manufacture of office and house-hold equipment and
appliances involving use of fossil fuel combustion
11. Manufacture of machineries and machine tools and equipment
12. Industrial gases (only Nitrogen, Oxygen and Co2)
13. Miscellaneous glassware without involving use of fossil-fuel
14. Optical glass
15. Laboratory ware
16. Petroleum storage & transfer facilities.
17. Surgical and medical products including & prophylactics and
18. Foot-wear (Rubber)
19. Bakery products, Biscuits & Confectioners
20. Instant tea/coffee; coffee processing
21. Malted food
22. Manufacture of power driven pumps, compressors refrigeration
units, fire fighting equipment etc.
23. Wire drawing (cold process) & bailing straps.
24. Steel furniture, fasteners etc.
25. Plastic processed goods
26. Medical &Surgical instruments
27. Acetylene (synthetic)
28. Glue & gelatine
29. Potassium permanganate
30. Metallic sodium
31. Photographic films, papers & photographic chemicals
32. Surface coating industries
33. Fragrances, flavours & food additives
34. Plant nutrients (only manure)
35. Aerated water/soft drink.
RED CATEGORY NORMS
A. All those industries which discharge effluents of a polluting nature at the rate of more than 500 kl/day and for which the natural course for sufficient dilution is not available, and effluents from which cannot be controlled with suitable technology.
B. All such industries employing more than 500 perons/day.
C. All such industries in which the daily consumption of coal/fuel is more than 24 mt/day.
1. Ferrous and non-ferrous metal extraction, refining,
casting, forging, alloy making processing etc.
2. Dry Coal Processing/Mineral processing industries like
Ore sintering beneficiation, pelletization etc.
3. Phosphate rock processing plants.
4. Cement plants with horizontal rotary kilns.
5. Glass and glass products involving use of coal.
6. Petroleum refinery
7. Petro-chemical Industries
8. Manufacture of lubricating oils and greases
9. Synthetic rubber manufacture;
10. Coal, oil, wood or nuclear based thermal power plants
11. Vanaspati, hydrogenated vegetable oils for industrial
12. Sugar mills (White and Khandasari)
13. Craft paper mills
14. Coke oven by products and coal tar distillation products
16. Caustic soda
18. Electro-thermal products (artificial abrasives, Calcium
19. Phosphorous and its compounds
20. Acids and their salts (organic & inorganic)
21. Nitrogen compounds (Cyanides, cyanamides and other
22. Explosive (including industrial explosives, detonators &
23. Phthalic anhydride
24. Processes involving chlorinated hydrocarbon
25. Chlorine, flourine, bromine, iodine & their compunds
26. Fertilizer industry
27. Paper board and straw boards
28. Synthetics fibres
29. Insecticides, fungicides, herbicides & pesticides (basic
manufacture & formulation).
30. Basic drugs
31. Alcohol (Industrial or potable)
32. Leather industry including tanning and processing
33. Coke making, coal liquification and fuel gas making
34. Fibre glass production and processing
35. Manufacture of pulp-wood, pulp, mechanical or chemical
(including dissolving pulp)
36. Pigment dyes and their intermediates
37. Industrial carbons (including graphite electrodes, anodes,
midget electrodes, graphite blocks, graphite crucibles,
gas carbons activated carbon, synthetic diamonds, carbon
black, channel black, lamp black etc.)
38. Electro-chemicals (other than those covered under
39. Paints, enamels & varnishes
41. Poly Vinyl chloride
42. Cement with vertical shaft kiln technology pending
certification of proven technology on pollution control
43. Chlorates, perchlorates & peroxides
45. Synthetic resin & plastic products.